Thursday, September 15, 2011

Simple Bread (gluten, grain, and dairy free)



My inspiration for this recipe comes yet again from Elana. Gosh, I love her. Her recipes are so simple and always delicious. Since the weather has cooled, my yearning to bake has come alive. And today I just needed a really good, gluten free bread. Everyone in our house has been eating a lot of toast lately (organic, yes, but filled with gluten no less), so I've been feeling a bit left out. This morning I sought to change that by making a gluten free bread that I can indulge in just like the rest of 'em.

I used Elana's Bread 2.0 recipe as a guide, but since she bakes hers in the Magic Loaf 7.5x3.5" pan and mine is currently packed away in the storage unit, I only had access to an 8x4" pan, which means I needed to increase a few ingredient proportions to make sure this bread did not come out of the pan completely flat. I also added some extra virgin olive oil to make this bread a little more savory and moist. I am very happy with the results! My kids seemed to gobble this up too, always a sure-fire sign that a recipe is blog-worthy. I love how the top of this bread gets nice and brown, slightly crunchy to the touch, giving it a rustic, comfort food feel.

Since I've had this bread at least three different times throughout the day, I've had ample opportunities to top it off with various twists: butter and honey, jam, plain, and almond butter. Elana recommends spreading it with goat cheese, which sounds divine. You can eat it for your morning toast, make a nice sandwich out of it for lunch, or serve it alongside some soup for dinner (we ate it with our Thai Coconut Chicken Soup tonight). Very versatile, very healthy, very high in protein and fiber; simply a bread you can eat and feel really good about.


Simple Bread

Dry ingredients:
1 3/4 cups almond flour
3/4 cups arrowroot powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt

Wet ingredients:
5 eggs
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (ACV)
1 teaspoon agave or honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan with olive or coconut oil.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, EVOO, ACV, and agave. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine.

Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Use a small silicone spatula to remove from pan. Slice and serve.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Kelly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely loaf of bread. This is my first visit to your blog so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG--I'm SO excited about this bread! I have tried many, many recipes for gluten free bread and have had one fail after another. I wasn't fond of the recipes that use cashew or other nut butters because they have a sweet taste that make it hard to make a sandwich out of it. But THIS....this recipe is pure bread love!!! I made it last night and did the ultimate test--can you eat it without toasting it and with just butter on it and have it taste (and feel) like real bread? YES! Now I just want to try doubling the recipe and putting it in a 9x5 pan so the slices can be more like "real" bread size :) Thanks so much for adapting Elena's recipe and thank you for giving me the option of sandwiches back...lunch is always my biggest food dilemma these days with paleo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I'll have to try this! I have a low carb bun recipe on my blog using almond flour and flax, they are fantastic and it makes a good pizza crust too.....but I sure would like to be able to make an actual loaf of bread again too, especially if it tastes good without being toasted too. I tried one other loaf recipe with coconut flour and it was horrible, but knowing how good the flax/almond buns I make are I can imagine this would be far better than the coconut one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is indeed awsome! I tried baking this with my kids and we had fun and of course they loved it! They even asked for more!. I sure will recommend this recipe as well as your blog to my friends. Thanks a lot and I'll be looking forward to your future posts. You may also check this one out if you’ve got a milk allergy or sensitivity, our lactose free bread might just be the healthy solution for you. Many store-brand bread-makers are still using milk in their products to give it that wonderful texture. But we’ve got a recipe that makes a delicious loaf of bread with that same texture without using milk. lactose free bread

    ReplyDelete