Saturday, September 18, 2010

Simply Granola



When I want a mildly sweet and satisfying treat, this is my go-to recipe of choice. I mean, who doesn't love granola? It serves such a multitude of purposes: as breakfast with some organic yogurt and fruit, as a mid-day snack with some almond milk, as an on-the-go treat when you're running errands, or as a simple dessert topping over ice cream. I eat it just plain, with my hands, quite frequently. Addicting, I might say.

This recipe I also love because it is just so simple. I keep all of these ingredients in my pantry, so I always have them on hand to whip up a batch of granola anytime. You can get added digestion health benefits out of this too by soaking the oats overnight in water (about 2 cups) with a little apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (about 1 tablespooon) and then dehydrating for 10-12 hours at 115 degrees (I have a dehydrator from my raw food days, but since it is not that common of a kitchen appliance, you can also use your oven set at the lowest temperature for about the same amount of time.)

Either way, you simply must try this. So do, and let me know your thoughts! (I forgot to mention that it makes a stellar food gift. Put the granola into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid, add some ribbon to the top, and voila! Homemade, healthy granola gift! I did this last Christmas and got rave reviews.)

Simply Granola

3 cups gluten free oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup Xylosweet
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla
pinch salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup agave
3/4 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 325. Line a 10x15 baking sheet with parchment paper.

Mix oat through salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, mix coconut oil and agave. Pour over dry ingredients. Stir all ingredients to combine.

Pour granola onto baking sheet and spread out to a single layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven when it turns a nice, golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for about 20-30 minutes. Add raisins and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment