Monday, December 20, 2010

Pumpkin Waffles

Christmas came early to my house. My husband and I haven't bought each other Christmas gifts in years, and this year he decided he wanted to do gifts again. Since he doesn't have time to go shopping to a physical store, he's been virtual shopping. And my present came in the mail last week. He can't keep a secret very well, so he decided let me open it up the night it came. And what was inside? (You probably guessed it by the recipe!) A real Belgium waffle maker! Yippee!!!

Now I know what some of you are thinking... he got you an appliance? What could this possibly say about the state of your marriage? But seriously, this was actually one of the best gifts he could have gotten me. It's been on my birthday wish list for years; I say it's about time he got it for me!

I couldn't wait to try it. The next morning my son and I headed to the kitchen to create a gluten free waffle recipe for breakfast. And here it is. We'll be making these again for Christmas morning.


Pumpkin Waffles


3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons Xylitol (Xylosweet)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and ginger, each
pinch salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup whole milk or coconut milk
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat waffle maker.

Mix dry ingredients (sorghum flour through ginger) in a medium size bowl and stir to combine. In a separate bowl, add eggs through vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir again until mixture is mostly smooth (it's ok if it's a tad lumpy).

Add 1/2 cup of waffle mix at a time to waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker's instructions.

Top with pure maple syrup and freshly whipped cream.

Yields 5-6 Belgium waffles.

1 comment:

  1. I just made these today and they are delicious! I had to make some substitutions due to pantry limitations (brown rice flour for the sorghum and sugar for the xylitol. I am low on honey or I would have used that instead ;) I served them w/pecans and peanut butter as well as a little bit of pure maple syrup. I just have to say again that they were absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete