Friday, April 8, 2011

Creamy Pasta with Leeks and Mushrooms


This is such a yummy meal... so creamy and satisfying it just makes you feel comforted as you eat it. I left out meat altogether, opting for a vegetarian version and am really glad I did, as it allows the leeks and mushrooms to take center stage. I think leeks are so perfect here, as they themselves take on an almost creamy taste when sauteed. And the frozen peas not only give this dish some vibrant color, but I also love the way they "pop" in your mouth with every bite. (My kids happen to love peas, so any dish I can throw peas into, I know my kids will eat it!)

If you're not a goat cheese lover, I encourage you to try this recipe anyway. Although I do happen to love the stuff, my husband is not such a big fan. But to tell you the truth, he had no idea this recipe had goat cheese in it... and was ooohing and ahhhing with every bite. It seems like the pesto and veggies take the usual "bite" off the goat cheese, putting all the focus on the creaminess factor and less on the distinct "goat cheese" flavor. (And, of course, if you love goat cheese like me, then this recipe is a must try!)

Creamy Pasta with Leeks and Mushrooms


2 cups uncooked brown rice penne pasta (I use Trader Joe's)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 cloves garlic
2 leeks
10 button mushrooms
3 tablespoons pesto
5 oz. goat cheese
1/2 cup frozen peas
1-2 tablespoons water (if needed)
salt, pepper

Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain cooking water and set cooked pasta aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Mince garlic and add to pan, cooking for 1-2 minutes. Wash and chop leeks and mushrooms into slices and add to pan. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

Add pesto and goat cheese to vegetable mixture and stir to incorporate (until the mixture is completely creamy). Add in the cooked pasta, peas, and water (if needed) and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment