Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Grilled Kale

Can I just say that I love kale? Well, of course I can, it's my blog, I can say whatever I want to say! Seriously, I could eat this green superfood every single day and be happy as a clam. In fact, I really need to eat this stuff, and/or other dark leafy greens like it, every single day to maintain optimal health (that's a hint, if I need to eat it everyday, so do you!). Remember Popeye? Isn't it interesting that he had to eat spinach to become strong, not Twinkies? Go figure.

I am growing kale in my garden right now and it is getting oh so big and beautiful. My three year old told me the other day, "Mommy, the kale looks wonderful!" (aren't I lucky?). I've been picking a little bit everyday so that it's literally garden fresh when I eat it. Over the weekend, I decided to try my hand at grilling kale, you know, just to see what would happen. And let me tell you, I have found my addiction! I usually end up tossing half the stocks in the garbage (sorry folks, I haven't converted to composting yet). But by preparing it this way, the stocks get all crispy and delicious, dare I say better than the leaf itself!

Even if you think you are not a kale-lover like me (that's you Dad and Brian), be adventurous and try this recipe; I think you are really going to love it. Shoot me a comment to let me know your thoughts.

And it's Tuesday again, so I'm linking up with the Two for Tuesdays blog carnival of some of my favorite real food bloggers. Be sure to browse the wonderful array of yummy looking recipes and find your favorites (even if it's not kale, boo hoo!).

Grilled Kale

8-10 kale leaves (stems in tact)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt, pepper

Wash and dry kale. Place in a large bowl and drizzle it with oil and vinegar, then add a pinch of salt and pepper. With your hands, massage the liquids into the kale leaves so they are well absorbed. Take the kale and lay it directly on a preheated grill. Grill for just 3-5 minutes, until bright green.

7 comments:

  1. It doesn't get much simpler than that - I think this would convert the most stubburn kale hater! Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale is my absolute favorite veggie! Totally diggin the sound of grilling it...must try! Thanks so much for sharing w/ Two for Tuesdays this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, seriously we are so much alike. I too CRAVE kale and collards and other dark greens like they are candy. NO kiddding, last night i was making some quick grilled raw cheese and fresh tomato sandwiches for everyone and I made mine last and had to throw some Arugula and cut kale in the butter! It just wouldnt have been right without it! I usually use bacon grease to cook my kale, but I will try your suggetion of olive oil to see if it gives it a different flavor! Thanks for linking to the Two for Tuesday Recipe Blog Hop and please visit me to enter my giveaway of a Real Food for Rookies Class! http://bit.ly/dwfvMj :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add me to the kale-loving crowd! I'm so thrilled that three of the kale plants that I put in last spring are still producing. I've been harvesting the outter leaves for so long that they look more like palm trees. And I've just started my fall planting of kale and collards. We freeze quickly here, but I'm going to do my darndest to keep it growning into the winter. I can't wait to try throwing some on the grill; what a great idea! Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly. I've been thinking about this recipe all week. I love it so much that I will be featuring it in my "Best of the Blog Hop" this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I'm following you from the blog hop today. I love this blog

    http://abundanceyeah.blogspot.com/2010/09/many-flavors-of-salsa-jalapeno-carrot.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kale is one of the superfood that I've included in my list.
    Thanks for sharing this vegetable recipe. Actually you can also do the same method with green vegetables. :)

    ReplyDelete