Monday, June 6, 2011

Applesauce Rhubarb Muffins (gluten free, sugar free)

My mom just gave me some rhubarb from her garden and I've been anxious to make something with it. This morning I had the hankering for muffins and thought the rhubarb would be a great fit. The problem was, when searching online for a gluten free, sugar free rhubarb muffin recipe, I was hard pressed to find one. So I scoured my cookbooks, and low and behold, I found this recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Baking Cookbook. Of course, I had to make some changes to make this fit my dietary needs (sans gluten and sugar), but I would venture to guess that these are every bit as good as the original gluten and sugar laden recipe. These will definitely make an annual appearance at my house whenever rhubarb season comes upon us.

The flour blend I used here is a new one to me. I've been searching for a pre-mixed flour blend that makes gluten free baking a snap. I decided to try Bob's Red Mill brand of all purpose gluten free flour blend to see what I thought. I chose this brand because I love the combo of flours he uses: garbanzo and fava beans, potato and tapioca starches, and sorghum, making this blend rather high on the protein and fiber scale (which I love), with 3 grams of each in a 1/4 cup serving. I'd read all sorts of reviews that people thought the "beany" flavor was too strong, but I chanced it anyway. And I have to say that I do not detect a hint of "bean-y-ness" in this flour blend at all. In fact, it has produced the most wonderful baked goods to date. The other morning I made Belgian waffles with this blend and my husband says the waffles were the best I've made to date (quite the high complement from him!). So I give this flour blend a five star rating; it's that good.


Applesauce Rhubarb Muffins

Dry ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour blend (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Xylosweet (xylitol)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon powdered stevia
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt

Wet ingredients:
1 egg
3/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Xylosweet (xylitol)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 9 muffin tins with paper or silicone liners.

In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour blend through salt. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, applesauce, and coconut oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine (batter may be a little lumpy). Fold in rhubarb.

Scoop batter into muffin tins, filling about 3/4 of the way up. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over the tops of muffins. Bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let rest 5-10 minutes before enjoying.

Makes 9 muffins.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa--it looked good, but WAY too much baking soda gives it an icky flavor. This needs to be revisited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, we just tasted them--they are inedible, awful. This recipe should NOT be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the baking soda amount is a definite typo! It has now been corrected to what it should have been: 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete