Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Black Bean Cupcakes

Black bean cupcakes. Yes, it is true. These cupcakes are made out of black beans, can you believe it? Well, my guess is you probably won't believe it till you try it, then you'll be so surprised in the most delightful way. Kinda like watching Gwyneth Paltrow sing at the Country Music Awards.

Speaking of, do I have any country music fans out there? I mean, I'm just curious, was it not so... odd... seeing Gwyneth on stage, guitar in hand, belting out a twang with Vince Gill? As much as I love her, it just seems like she didn't belong there, at least on stage performing. (Don't get me wrong, she did sound great.) It seems like the county music industry will let anyone in who wants to try their musical hand at a two step these days. (Ok seriously, who let Kid Rock drown us with his scratchy vocal chords that night?!) Do you know what I'm saying? Gone are the days of real country singers, who actually wear a cowboy hat and not a baseball cap! (Another one of my country music pet peeves.) Gimme some George, Dolly, Johnny, these are the real country stars. Ya'll hearin' this?

Enough about my country music woes, what you really want to know is how to make these scrumptious, high fiber cupcakes with the hidden ingredient that will know your socks off...

Black Bean Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup Xylosweet
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a blender, puree black beans, eggs, and vanilla until completely smooth (a minute or two). In a medium bowl, mix Xylosweet, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add in black bean puree. Stir with a whisk until all ingredients are completely combined.

Pour into muffin tins coated with coconut oil (or paper or silicone liners), filling about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Frost with your favorite frosting (try cream cheese frosting!).

Makes 11-12 cupcakes.

This recipe is a part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays...

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I could never think of making cupcakes out of black beans!! I need to give them a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, girl. I finally tried these last night - amazingly good! I went through a black bean brownie phase a few months ago trying to find a recipe that we liked, but we never found one that really felt like dessert. This, however, does! It so light and cakey and amazingly chocolatey. I made some cashew frosting for the top and boy oh boy was it good. These will be a regular dessert in our house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love them too. Who would ever guess black beans??? I love the element of surprise when I tell people what the ingredients are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recipe for the GF blogger adoption. It didn't turn out as pretty as yours, but taste SO SO SO good!

    http://asgoodasgluten.blogspot.com/2011/03/gluten-free-blogger-adoption-black-bean.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed this recipe exactly, and it was delicious. I would add a little vanilla, but that is just a minor change. It tasted better the longer it sits in the fridge, so I'd serve it as an easy appetizers for or dinner.

    ReplyDelete