Monday, June 21, 2010

Camefire Series: French Toast

**Update: this post was published before my lab tests confirmed my gluten sensitivity, so if you are strictly gluten free like me, I recommend using my hearty, seedy bread in place of the sprouted grain bread in this recipe.**

My husband and I love camping. We used to backpack all the time before we had kids, but took a hiatus when we had our first child. Now that he is three, we felt it was time to get him and his 6 month old brother out into the great outdoors for some camping adventures. Our first run out of the bat was this past weekend (we played it safe and made it just a one-night trip). We had a fantastic experience! Both boys did so well. We hiked and built campfires and roasted marshmallows and hiked some more... our Sunday morning breakfast turned out so good and was so easy I thought I would share the recipe for my fellow campers who will be hitting the trails this summer.

French Toast

3 eggs
2 tablespoons cream + 1 tablespoon water (or 3 tablespoons milk)
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
5-6 slices sprouted Ezekial bread

Heat griddle (no need to grease if using a non-stick griddle, but if using cast iron griddle melt a tablespoon or two of butter). In a shallow bowl, mix eggs through vanilla with a fork. Dip one slice of bread in at a time and coat both sides with egg mixture. Place soaked bread on griddle. Repeat with remaining slices of bread. Cook for 3-4 minutes on first side, then flip with spatula and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to plate and top with berries and agave or 100% pure maple syrup.

Feeds two adults and one child. 

Enjoy with a fresh batch of campfire coffee!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you take cream when you go camping... I look forward to enjoying this recipe in the comfort of my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete