Thursday, August 26, 2010

Zucchini Greens Soup with Pumpkin Seeds

When I get on a roll, I guess I get on a roll. It's greens time again, and this recipe is yet another with this unsurpassed food group: dark, leafy greens. The other day I was craving soup; not something heavy and rich like you crave on a cold day, but rather something light and refreshing, reflecting the flavors of summer. Zucchini happened to be the vegetable of choice on my counter when the craving struck, so that is what I decided to turn into soup. And it tastes just like I had it in mind: light, creamy in its own right (without any heavy cream or cheeses), and just delightfully refreshing.

I made this a few days ago and scarfed it down all by myself in one sitting, it was that good. So today when I got home from work, I was craving it again, and since it was leftover night for dinner, I knew my family wouldn't mind if I whipped up another batch to go along with our grass fed steak fajitas from the night before. Afterall, tonight I just needed something refreshing and soupy. I had a good day- don't get me wrong- I mean, heck, it must have been a good day because I wore my hair down (not in the figurative sense, I literally wore my hair down and not in a ponytail like usual) and that only happens on a really good day! But nonetheless, it was a long day, and I was particularly tired when I got home. And soup just always sounds good to me when I'm tired (maybe it's psychological because I know I can even let my mouth rest from having to chew?).

So if you're in need of a refreshing and soupy light summer meal, give this a go.

Zucchini Greens Soup with Pumpkin Seeds

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 of an onion
2 cloves garlic
1 large zucchini
2 cups broth
1/4- 1/2 cup water
5-6 dark, leafy greens (your choice of collards, kale, beet greens, Swiss chard, or a mixture of each)
salt, pepper to taste
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds

Heat oil in medium sized soup pot over medium heat. Chop onion and garlic and add to hot pot. Saute for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Chop zucchini into large chunks and add to pot. Saute another 3-4 minutes until soft. Add broth, water, and dark leafys. Cover soup pot with a lid and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into a blender, and puree soup. Return soup to pot, and salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment