Monday, November 29, 2010

Mushroom Egg Bake

I'm back from spending Thanksgiving week with my in-laws in Oklahoma. We had a wonderful time; the boys couldn't get enough of Grandma and Papa (and the toys- oh- the toys!). It's always such a timely getaway for us: just as winter and snow start to appear in Minnesota, we escape to the warm and sunshine of the south.

We ate a lot of great food while we were there too. I had the pleasure of cooking during some of my stay (not near as much cooking as I would have liked though). One morning I whipped up this egg dish, my go-to, no fail, easy peasy recipe that satisfies even the toddler palate. Whatever is left (if any) can be saved for a quick protein snack later in the day.

Let's park just for a minute and talk about eggs. During the warmer months, I am fortunate enough to buy my eggs from a coworker whose sister raises chickens. I know that these chickens are happy, free roaming birds just by the bright yellow yokes of the eggs they lay. And holy cow, are they ever good! Since the chickens are not laying eggs in the quantity they do in the summer months, I have been forced to buy my eggs from the grocery store, which are not nearly as tasty (and have pitifully pale yokes). But nonetheless, they are still eggs which are powerhouses of nutrition: full of protein, folate, iron, zinc (and more) and a great way to keep your blood sugar levels stabilized in the morning (or anytime; sometimes we eat this egg dish for dinner). I do highly recommend though that if you are not raising chickens yourself (or get them from a coworker or neighbor who does), you should buy high-quality, free range, organic eggs if possible. Not only does it matter in taste (which it really does), but it matters greatly in nutritional content (remember my blog post about Food, Inc.? If you haven't seen it already, do!)

Mushroom Egg Bake

6 eggs
2 tablespoons water, milk, or cream
6 button mushrooms
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon italian seasonings
salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a pie pan with butter or coconut oil.

Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl. Chop mushrooms and dice onions and garlic cloves. Add veggies to bowl with eggs. Add in seasonings and stir to combine.

Pour into prepared pie pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until eggs are set (should be firm to the touch). Let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing into wedges.

Serves 4-6 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment