Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ginger Orange Chicken

I had a conversation with my girlfriends recently about cooking asian food. Some seemed to think that it was way too difficult and complicated to make at home, opting for take-out every time. I think it is easy to cook asian at home, and have been for years, since I was given a Williams Sonoma cookbook all about stir fries. And this recipe proves that it is easy... and so tasty... and so healthy (think, no MSG, no foreign meats, no who-knows-what-could-have-been-thrown-into-that-dish ingredients!). This is not a recipe from that cookbook, but rather just an off-the-cuff creation in one of my moments of creativity this afternoon. It couldn't have been more delicious. The chunks of ginger and subtle flavor of orange combine so well together. I served it with brown fried rice (with carrots, onions, and peas) and a side of steamed broccoli, making it super easy, super healthy, super balanced meal.

So go ahead... try it the next time your craving for take out strikes and I guarantee you'll be satisfied!


Ginger Orange Chicken

Sauce:
1 medium naval orange
2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
pinch crushed red pepper

Chicken:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons peeled and chopped ginger
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder

For the sauce, squeeze all the juice out of orange into bowl. Add Bragg's through crushed red pepper and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.

Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Meanwhile mince garlic and cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Once oil is hot, add garlic and ginger to pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken to pan, sprinkle arrowroot powder over chicken, and let cook for 7-8 minutes, until underside is cooked. Turn chicken pieces over so the pink side cooks for another 7-8 minutes (chicken should be almost completely cooked at this point).

Add sauce to pan and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spoon or spatula to deglaze. Turn heat up to medium-high and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly, until sauce is thick.

Serve with brown rice and a side of steamed broccoli for a well rounded meal.

This recipe is a part of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free's Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays...

2 comments:

  1. Yummm! I have been on a Ginger/Orange Combo Kick this week. Yesterday I used a similar profile to make pulled pork :)
    Wanted to invite you to share this recipe (and others!) at a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays!http://realsustenance.com/
    Loving your site BTW.. I am also Gluten Free.. and just recently gave up refined sugar. So Your recipes are quite inspiring
    xo, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got the chance to make this last night for my husband and I - it was awesome!!! Never thought homemade Chinese food could be so easy and delicious. I only modified it a little bit - I peeled two small oranges and put the rest of the sauce ingredients along with a hunk of ginger in my blender for the sauce. Then I cooked chicken and sauteed a bunch of veggies then poured the sauce over the top and heated it up. Super over brown rice - thanks for a crowd pleaser!

    ReplyDelete