Monday, July 12, 2010

Quinoa Oat Bars

This recipe sort of just came together. It started off as the soaked granola recipe from Cooking God's Way, but I realized after I had already melted butter and coconut oil in a bowl that I didn't have enough oats. So I pulled out some other pantry ingredients and... created this recipe instead. Once I had a finished (and super tasty) product, I struggled with what to call it. Bars, for sure, but what kind? Peanut butter, oat, quinoa, teff, soaked, gluten free? I landed on gluten free quinoa oat bars, because it just sounds good and healthy (to me, at least). And although I made these into bars, they could easily be made into cookies or even scones.

I also hesitated posting this recipe just because the list of ingredients is a bit more lengthy than I prefer. But it turned out so good that I felt any attempt to make it on your behalf would prove fruitful. That said, I hope you won't let the ingredient list stop you from trying it as it is a fantastic alternative to sugar-and-white flour-laden traditional pan bars seen at most picnics and parties this time of year.

And I know it is good; not only did I eat about four bars when it came out of the oven, but my toughest critic- my three year old son- devoured a few bars himself in one sitting. (Then he asked me to save the rest for him. The conversation went something like this, "Mommy, dooooonnnn't eat anymore... save them for me for after my nap!!!")

Quinoa Oat Bars

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
3/4 cup cream or coconut milk
1 cup water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups old fashioned oats (if you're gluten intolerant, make sure your oats are certified gluten free)
3/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup teff flour
1 c sunflower seeds
3/4 cup sliced almonds
____________________

1/2 cup peanut butter, softened
2/3 cup xylosweet
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon
pinch salt
3/4 cup raisins

Mix first 10 ingredients in large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let set overnight or 12 hours.

After soaking time is up, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine remaining 7 ingredients into the quinoa oat mixture and give a few really good stirs to ensure all of the ingredients are well coated and evenly distributed. Pour batter into parchment paper lined bar pans (I used one 9'13 pan and one 8'8 pan) and spread to an even layer with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool on wire racks for 30 minutes. Cut and serve.

Makes one 9'13 and one 8'8 pan of bars. Enough for your next company picnic or family reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment