Saturday, July 17, 2010

Vegan Blueberry Ice Cream

I've been inspired by such delicious and dairy-free ice cream recipes as popularized by raw food enthusiasts (I should know... I used to be one). I do eat some dairy now, although I limit it to the occasional plain whole milk yogurt, certain cheeses, and very rarely--- organic full fat ice cream. With this recipe, however, I can serve it to my family without guilt.. good for you coconut fat, no refined sugars or additives, and mostly fruit sweetened. I like to make this in the afternoon for a nice cool-me-down-summertime-snack.

And really, the fruit can be interchanged with any combination of fruit you like. (My three year old asks for blueberries every single day, so this choice was a no brainer for me.) I'd love to hear about your  experiments, so leave me a comment!

Vegan Blueberry Ice Cream

1/2 cup raw cashews
1 cup water
1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 teaspoon stevia powder
3 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
pinch salt

Blend all ingredients in Vitamix or other high powered blender until smooth. Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. With my cheap-o Rival ice cream maker, I usually have to let it run for 40 minutes, take a 10 minute break to let the ice cream maker cool down, then run again for 10-15 more minutes. It's still a bit runny at this point, but put it in the freezer for 2-4 hours and it will get a nice, even, ice-creamy consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment