Saturday, September 11, 2010

Kale Chips

I am so thrilled about this recipe. It's not new to me, not new to the blogsphere, but it is new to someone in my house... hubby. He has insisted for years that he does not like kale (not in a box, not with a fox, not in a car, not in a tree, he insisted that he does not like it, you see! Can you tell I have a three year old who loves to read Green Eggs and Ham?). But just because he said he doesn't like it never stopped me from making it for myself. I eat it nearly daily, and in a variety of ways: steamed, lightly sauteed, roasted, grilled, marinated raw, in pestos, etc. and each time I make it, I always offer hubby some. "Um, no thanks, Kel," he promptly says with that roll-the-eyes-sort of look that really says, "Seriously, you didn't think I changed my mind all of a sudden and started liking kale, now, did you?" Hmpf... someday I'm going to get you to try it, and like it... I would think to myself.

Well today (trumpets please), it happened! It finally happened! He tried kale and said that he liked it! (Well, actually he said that it was, "not that bad," which in Minnesota lingo means that he secretly loves it and can't wait for me to make it again.) And so friends, I simply must share this delightful (and let's not forget incredibly nutrient packed) kale recipe with you, and you simply must try it for yourself and your family.

I recently read on one of Elana's posts (of www.elanaspantry.com, one of my favorite food bloggers), that Parents magazine featured her kale chip recipe in their Back to School issue as an idea for something to pack in a child's lunch. And I thought, why yes, of course! Let's give those old potato chips a run for their money! This particularly caught my attention as my three year old is starting preschool this week and I will be packing his lunch two days a week. I've been brainstorming for a few weeks now of ideas for his school lunch. I'm so curious as to what other real-food-loving-mommies pack in their children's school lunch? Let me know by leaving a comment below. I will be compiling my ideas (with the help from your comments) into a post very soon, so stay tuned.

Kale Chips

5-6 kale leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Wash kale and chop into 2x2 inch squares (or desired size of chip) and place in a large bowl. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper to the bowl and message the leaves of kale with oil until fully coated. Place kale on a single layer on pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until bright green and crispy. Enjoy fresh out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment