Thursday, March 17, 2011

Favorite Winter Smoothie


I hate to say it, but it's technically still winter here in the frozen tundra. Thankfully, it's not quite that frozen anymore. The temps rose above 32 degrees today and the sun was shining, all of which helped to melt a great deal of snow. This lifted our collective spirits and put a spring (no pun intended) in our steps. People were outside in shorts and t-shirts: jogging, walking their dogs, talking to their neighbors. It was a glorious day.

As the season draws to a close, I think we all want to feel fresh again. Not just fresh weather, but fresh bodies, skin, hair. One of the best ways to achieve this is through smoothie-ing. I got out of the smoothie routine sometime mid-winter, when the blistery cold, snow, and wind howled outside my windows. The thought of any food that wasn't hot, or at least warm, didn't appeal to me at all (fresh or otherwise). But the craving for fresh, whole foods in the form of smoothies returned a few weeks ago and I've been faithful to my Vitamix for this exact purpose every morning since.

This is my favorite winter smoothie. It's hearty, thanks to the hemp protein powder, with easy-to-find ingredients when not much in the way of fruit is in season (at least here). I keep a 4 pound bag of frozen blueberries on hand in my freezer at all times, so I can have fresh smoothies year round.


Favorite Winter Smoothie


1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons hemp protein powder
5 drops liquid stevia
2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
1/2 banana
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4-1/2 cup water
1-2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice

Place all ingredients into Vitamix or other high powered blender in the order listed. Blend on high for about 30 seconds, until everything is blended completely (adding more almond milk or water to achieve desired consistency).

Pour into a tall glass and enjoy the freshness this smoothie brings to your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment