Friday, March 18, 2011

Tuscan Chicken Sausage and Chickpeas

 
My husband and I are just about to put our house on the market. This has been a long journey, spanning many months, of praying and discussing this major life decision. Seven years, a whole lot of remodeling, decorating, nesting, and it may just be our time to move. I've been quite the emotional person lately (poor hubby, he'll never quite understand the emotions of a woman), but am trusting for God's guidance and direction. 

This morning we signed the paperwork with our realtor, making it pretty darn official. To prepare, we woke up early to finish some last minute details. I have to say, as much work as it has been so far, it was such a good feeling to de-clutter throughout this whole process. I feel clean. I can relax. Even if we weren't going to sell our house, I would love continuing to live without so much stuff. I hope that where ever we end up next (or even if we stay in our current house) we will live more simply, both needing and wanting less... things. 

I can honestly say that for the first time, we have spring-cleaned. And it feels sooooo good!

I haven't quite spring-cleaned my recipes just yet. Therefore I'm posting this recipe as probably the last of my hearty, warming dishes for this winter season. I got some major thumbs up for this one. All of my boys (hubby and the kiddos) loved it. I had it as leftovers the following night and it may have tasted even better. My recommendation is to use a really good quality chicken sausage (I get mine from the butcher counter at my co-op), as this is really the star of this dish.

Very soon I hope to be posting fresh, light, springtime recipes. (Let's just pray that we don't get anymore blizzards!)


Tuscan Chicken Sausage and Chickpeas


1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
2 stalks celery
1 pound sweet and/or spicy Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons pesto
salt, pepper

Heat coconut oil over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. Chop onion and celery and mince garlic. Add to pan. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add chicken sausage and, using a wooden spoon, break up the sausage into bite sized pieces. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, until chicken sausage is cooked through. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, chicken stock, and pesto. Stir to incorporate. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment