Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Stir Fried Quinoa

I've been dreaming about food lately. Kinda like Carolyn over at Dreaming About Food... (you must check out her blog... I perused it for over an hour the other day, drooling all over my desk as I scrolled through her delicious-looking recipes!). I've been dreaming about food because I've been a tad stressed lately. And food is what I do when I'm stressed. Not eat food per say, but cook food, create recipes, and be in my kitchen (ah ha! that's where those last 18 hours went!). And to say I'm stressed is not entirely accurate. I am stressed with the house thing, keeping it clean for showings and open houses. I am stressed with my 16 month old son who is walking now and all over the place and into everything. But that's about it. The rest of my life is bliss. So I think I'm dealing with my stress better than I could if I didn't have a kitchen and access to some really wonderful organic food.

So what food have I been dreaming about? Oh you name it baby! Fresh vegetables in all colors, flavors, and textures (eggplant, snow peas, cauliflower, garlic, ginger, sweet potatoes, beets, kale!). Decadent desserts (brownies, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream!). Super green smoothies, granola, pasta, quinoa, lasagna, tuna, black beans, hummus, apples, raw cheddar cheese!

What to do with all this dreaming about food? Get thee into the kitchen. I've kicked out some awesome recipes this week, at least one blog-worthy one every day, so I am ready to roll them out. Since quinoa has really been at the top of my craving list, I decided I'd share this one first. (Note: this is so delicious, you may want to double the recipe so you have leftovers. I ate this all by myself in one day, although not for the same meal, but you get the idea...?!)


Stir Fried Quinoa

1/2 cup water or chicken stock
1/2 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 medium carrot, chopped
4-5 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup snow peas
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
2 cups lightly packed fresh spinach
1 cup rotisserie chicken, cubed (optional)
1 egg, whisked
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce (such as Bragg's)
1 scallion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped

To begin, cook quinoa by placing water or stock in a small saucepan and adding quinoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion to pan. Cook 2-3 minutes. Then add ginger through chicken and stir fry for 7-8 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Remove veggies from pan and place in a bowl.

Add whisked egg to saucepan and cook until soft yellow curds form. Add cooked quinoa to pan and stir fry with the egg for 2-3 minutes.

Add vegetables back to pan with egg and quinoa, along with vinegar and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and toss in scallion and cilantro.

Serves 2-3.

This recipe is a part of Gluten Free Wednesdays at the Gluten Free Homemaker...

No comments:

Post a Comment